Friday, June 3, 2011

Tough Mudder May 7, 2011

First Mudd!
     I'd be lying if I said completing Tough Mudder didn't feel like a religious experience. I've never prayed so hard in my life. Most of the time I was actually praying for my life. "Please don't let me die on this mountain. Please God." I didn't realize I was begging out loud and not in my head, until the guy climbing several feet ahead of me turned around and said, "Dude...You're scaring me."

     I've done some pretty crazy things in my life. I've bungeed in New Zealand, jumped from a perfectly good plane and finished a triathlon in pretty good time. But, this was crazy on a-whole-nother level. It was fun, excruciatingly painful at times, but fun. We laughed a lot in spite of the pain.
My best friend/hubby.
I guess the best part was, I got to do all of this with my best friend. He never let me quit. He encouraged me and lied to me when I needed it most. "This is the last climb, really. No more uphills after this one." Thanks honey.

     I learned a lot about myself, my limitations. Really. Trying to pull a guy who outweighs me by at least 80lbs, up a half-pipe ramp, was really dumb. I can admit that now. But this race was different than most. It wasn't about the individual competitor, it was about the camaraderie. It wasn't about who finishes first, but helping each other through the battle, together as one. No man left behind. I witnessed complete strangers stop to give encouragement to someone in need. Sharing a bit of their strength, helping to carry the load. I saw grown men and women breakdown and cry. Whether it was from the pain of complete muscle fatigue or the exhilarating high of being a part of this amazing kinship, only they know.
Team Unaccompanied Minor
For those few hours we were soldiers.









 From the moment we sang the national anthem beneath the great symbol of our amazing country, charged down to the base of the mountain and came face to face with our first obstacle. Tough Mudders have raised over one million dollars for the Wounded Warriors Project . In this time of war, I couldn't be more proud to have had the opportunity be a part of that.  It was a life altering experience and a life lesson I will not soon forget.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment